Prior to my son’s diagnosis, I had a lot of unanswered questions. I longed for him to demonstrate the behaviors that were typical of other kids his age.
Receiving a diagnosis felt like a mixed blessing. Finally there is an answer to the unexplained behaviors, but dealing with Ministry paperwork, and exploring the endless number of treatment options can feel overwhelming.
Are you considering working with a qualified professional who understands the emotional challenges that come with parenting an autistic child?
Some of the questions you may have are…
- What does this diagnosis mean for my child and for our family?
- How will this affect our financial future?
- How will my child cope in a “neurotypical” world where the typical trajectory for development and progress do not apply?
- Will my child grow to be an independent person like his peers and siblings?
- Which of the therapy options will help my child to learn the skills that other children take for granted?
- Whom can I speak with to help me make the right decision?
You may be feeling…
- Not sure who to tell what when
- At odds with the opinions of other family members and well meaning friends
- Relationship stress with your partner/spouse
- Like your other children are taking a back seat
I can help you to…
- Come to grips with your feelings about your child’s behavior, and their impact on you and the rest of your family.
- Clarify what this diagnosis means and what it doesn’t mean.
- Explore your child’s gifts, and how they’ve influenced your growth as a person.
- Understand what works, what doesn’t, and how to create an optimal family environment for you, your spouse, and all your children.
- Expand your knowledge of available resources
- Develop a support system
- Ask for help, as well as negotiate healthy boundaries for your own well being.
To book a session, click here to contact me.
Learn more about mindful parenting
I am a qualified professional who understands the emotional challenges that come with parenting an autistic child.